How to be Mastered in Reading a Book ?
Book is the most important property in academic environment. This bundle of sheets called literature consists of several or many chapters that explains substances of specific topic. Academic professionals and students labour book in learning about concepts, analytic techniques, art of sciences and other matters that lead them toward understanding of the world. Then, book begins a nutritious food for this community and reading as basic skill.
As the fruitful growing of technology, we has been provided amenities in readings. We don’t need to have large filling cabinets or bookshelves. On this century, this bundle of sheets can be minimized into a single compact file called e-book. We only need to have a 30GB disk drive to deposit more than 1000 e-book. It can be imagined that on this present day, an academician will be a walking private-library. Amenity provided by technology does not only in the case of the ease of storage but also the way we may get those literatures. We can easily buy a book (printed or soft file) via on-line shops and we also may be possible to deliver it to our colleagues via e-mail as well. There is no way for a professional academician or student to live in a small world as we can acquire the knowledge from all around the world.
Now, it is important to understand how to get proper books for our academic purpose and learn from them.
How to find the proper book.
1. Pay attention to the table of content. Visiting a book store is traditional way to get literatures. As you come to a bookshelf, you will be introduced with abundant of books. Even if you have fitted your searching by theme tag or book index accordingly, it is still another problem to find the most corresponding one. Check the table of content (TOC). From the TOC, you can scan initially substances offered by that book and match with your needs.
2. Search from bibliography of a working paper. Every working papers in academic magazines or journals have list of references or bibliography. It is a good idea to search cited literatures because it must be matched with substances you study in that paper.
3. Open source e-book. There are many open source websites provide free e-book. Every university usually have cooperation with some e-journals in providing free access for students and academicians.
After you have sufficient topic of literatures, you must able to read and grasp deep comprehension from them. The problem is, you have many books and you need to read them all to complete your task. There are several tips for this purpose.
1. Just reading and reading. Reading is a sort of skill. The only way to get mastered in skill is by practicing. Do not to be bored in reading. Some great writers and educators argued that a good a bachelor student must be able and accustomed to read minimum 30 pages in a day.
2. You don’t need to read all chapters. Usually a book contains complete explanation of a subject. The chapters help us to grasp shorter discourse partially. You don’t need to read them all. Just read the TOC and look for the closest theme with your subject and start to read it partially. You may continue to elaborate another chapters at another time.
3. Fasten your reading speed. Usually we read by paying attention to words. Reading words by words will spend more time. Try to read using group of words, or if it possible for you a sentence as a group, imagine these groups as symbols. This technique is just like “reading” a picture. We can observe mountain, river, row of houses, sun, etc in a picture and we can grasp a brief but comprehensive information about informations depicted on that picture. Use your imagination. Try to imagine groups of word or rows of sentence as symbols. It is an advanced way in reading and need more practices.
4. Writing to deepen comprehension. After completing your reading, start to write down some conclusions or ideas based on your understanding on that subject. Writing is a classical and everlasting way to “implant” knowledge and understanding of certain topic. Use your own words to resemble a new passage.
Now, it’s time to get practice. Have a nice reading.